Wednesday, December 16, 2009

R.A.D. exams

R.A.D. stands for Royal Academy of Dance. The R.A.D. exams are ballet exams that test your technique in ballet. They test you in stages (grade 1-8, elementary, intermediate, advanced, and advanced 2). It is a very hard exam to take. You have to memorize a whole syllabus. You wear a number and you are tested in a room with one or two girls. It is quite scary ! You either fail, pass, get a merit, or a distinction (which in is the highest). This exam is taught throughout the 70 countries. Every dancer memorizes the same syllabus and then you take the exam in certain places. Taking these exams looks great for college. It is a huge accomplishment to pass these exams, which depending on which level you are taking takes at least a year to learn. I took my intermediate exam last year, and I am working on my advanced exam this year. I passed the intermediate exam with a distinction. If I get a distinction on my advanced 1 and 2 exams, I will be eligible for the "Genne International Ballet Competition." It is basically the ballet Olympics. Last year it was held in Singapore, and this year it will be held in London. Below is a video that explains the competition.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_vRamS4jhs

No comments:

Post a Comment