Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Nutrition


I decided to write a blog about Nutrition because it is very important not only for a dancer but for everyone. My studio is getting ready to put on the Nutcracker. I will be performing five shows one weekend and then five shows the next ! This means I am always at the studio rehearsing and preparing for the show. On Saturdays I am usually dancing for six or seven hours with only a few breaks. This is where nutrition comes in. If I didn't eat healthy or the right foods, it would be very hard for me to dance for six hours.
The best things to eat when engaging in a high energy sport is nuts, or anything high in protein. Stay away from sugary foods. Eating sugary foods will give you quick energy, but will then quickly wear off and give you what is called a "sugar low." Natural sugars are the way to go. Fruits contains natural sugar. On a break, just eat an orange or any fruit. It will keep you energy up ! Carbohydrates are also very good to eat. Carbs provide the energy that fuels muscle contractions. Once eaten, carbohydrates breakdown into smaller sugars that get absorbed and used as energy. After dancing, or playing any sport that forces you to use muscles, drink some milk or eat fish. This helps keep the muscles you just worked. One of the most important aspects of nutrition is fluids. Drink, drink , drink !! Staying hydrated is very extremely important.When hydrated, muscles are more flexible and more easily moved. On average a dancer (or any athlete) should drink two liters of fluid a day ! I hope this blog entry can help athletes like me become healthier and more knowledgeable about nutrition.

1 comment:

  1. Wow this article looked like it came from a health magazine, good job. When I played football coach always told me to stay hydrated. Eating increases concentration too, when I eat breakfast I can pay attention. Nutrition is very important to a healthy life style, if you eat good you feel good. Healthy foods such fruit, fish, and vegetables can help you live better.

    ReplyDelete