Thursday, December 3, 2009

Benefits from Yoga


The other day I took a yoga class. I really enjoyed it because it stretches you and relaxes you at the same time. Also, after the class you feel great ! Yoga refers to traditional mental and physical disciplines originating in India. When people think of yoga they think of meditation. Meditation is a form of yoga, but there are many forms of yoga. Meditation is one of the more relaxing types. What many people do not realize is that yoga is so beneficial mentally and physically, especially for dancers. Physically it stretches your body giving you more flexibility and increases the range of motion in joints. Also, yoga builds strength in your hamstrings, quadriceps, and abdominal muscles. Better posture is also a benefit that comes from yoga. Health benefits include better breathing, less stress/more calm, and concentration/mood. It is also said that yoga lowers the risk of heart disease ! It decreases Cholesterol and triglyceride levels as well as a boost in immune system function. Clearly, there are many reasons to take a yoga class. Even though you may be a little sore the next day, just try it and see if you like it !

1 comment:

  1. I have been doing yoga for a while now and I cannot explain all of the benefits that I get from the practice. During the school year I only get to my yoga about twice a week, but the summer months allow me much more time to indulge. I highly recommend continuing with classes!

    ReplyDelete