Friday, October 23, 2009

Is Ballet a Sport or an Art ?


Many people ask the question is ballet a sport or an art ? Well, I say that ballet is both a sport and an art. Most people do not agree that ballet is a sport, but it clearly is ! My ballet teacher always tells us, "If you do a ballet class properly, you get just as good as a work out then if you were to go to the gym." Ballet works almost every muscle in your body ! People often think that because ballet dancers are trained not to show effort and be graceful, that they aren't putting in any effort. That is the craziest thing I have ever heard. Ballerinas work extremely hard, thats why they are in such good shape. It is harder then most sports !
Along with ballet being a sport it is also an art. Classical ballet requires technique, focus, and dedication. Practice is key, to really learn and be good at an art such as ballet, you have to practice, practice, practice. Ballet is all about muscle memory. If you train your muscles correctly everyday you take class, eventually they will remember. My teacher also says, "You are clay and you have to mold yourself the right way in order to be a dancer." This is completely true. Most people, or should i say guys, think ballet is a piece of cake. That is completely false, and I hope reading this helped you realize this.

1 comment:

  1. I agree with you 100%! I took ballet for a while and it was intense. I am truly impressed with the talent and hard work put behind being a ballerina. I do think that your last statement is not very true. There are guys out there who do appreciate the art of ballet, and girls who think it is just spinning in circles.

    ReplyDelete